TMTA February 1 Newsletter
by Roy Wylie, NCTM
You know you want to go, you’ve heard everyone talk about how great it is, but you always fall back on “Why should I? Or What’s in it for me?” Well, I am going to tell you! Check back here over the next few issues of the newsletter, and you will find out about all the fantastic programs that have been selected, just for you. Pretty soon, you will be filled with all the reasons of “Why?" you might want to attend the 2019 TMTA Convention and the only question you will be able to postulate is "Why Not?" Sessions, concerts, exhibits, conversations, and good times will be in abundance for Teachers, Students, and Parents alike. You’ll find you just can’t not come! For starters - think: Anderson & Roe, Alfred, and FJH. Find out more next time!
- February 1: TMTA SA Original Composition, Publication, and Video Essay Contest Entries (procedures)
- February 24: TMTA SA Regional Performance Contest Entries (procedures)
- March 1: TMTA SA Ensemble Entries (procedures)
- March 1: Teacher of the Year Nominations
- March 1: Repertoire Approval Forms for the June Leondar Chamber Music/Ensemble Contest
Ensemble Enrollment due March 1
TMTA SA Ensemble Coordinator
Ensemble Enrollment is due March 1. Local Ensemble Chairs should start making a list of all the information needed to submit registrations and payment by the deadline! Looking forward to seeing the new conductor's podium in place and hearing all the fabulous students perform at the TMTA Convention in June.
Performance Contest Reminder
Michael Clark, NCTM, TMTA SA Performance Contest Coordinator
Check with your local Performance Contest Chair pertaining to specific deadlines for your association. All regional entries are due February 24 and all semi-final and final entries are due March 31.
Shelly Davis, NCTM,
TMTA SA Theory Coordinator
Theory Testing for Spring 2019 began on January 26 and runs through February 24. Do you know about Instrumental Medals for the Theory Test? Students who test below school grade level will be awarded a vocal or instrumental medal if their score is 90% or higher if they test at level four or higher. Local theory chairs will need to know this when ordering medals. Share the news!
World of Music
TMTA SA World of Music Coordinator
World of Music testing runs from February 1 through March 31. Chairs should order tests a minimum of three weeks prior to testing.
Convention Activities Registration Reminder
Julie Arras, TMTA SA Convention Activities Coordinator
CONGRATULATIONS TEXAS SOUTH CENTRAL DIVISION WINNERS,
ALTERNATES, and REPRESENTATIVES
- YA Piano Winner: Isaac Foreman, Teacher-Tamas Ungar
- YA Voice Winner: Michael Skarke, Tenor, Teacher-Robert Best
- YA Chamber Music Wind Winner: Aruna Quartet: William Pyle, Jose Guzman, Ryan Hill, and Andrew Schoen, Saxophone, Teacher-David Dees
- YA Woodwind Winner: Landon Chang, Saxophone, Teacher-Eric Nestler
- Senior Piano Winner: Claire Chiang, Teacher-Catharine Lysinger
- Senior Piano Duet Representative: Ben Hoang and Beatrice Hoang, Teacher-Saida Kafarova
- Senior Voice Winner: Molly Snodgrass, Mezzo-Soprano, Teacher-Michelle Hache
- Senior String Representative: Hayoung Moon, Cello, Teacher-Gary Hardie
- Senior Woodwind Winner: Subin Cho, Flute, Teacher-Monica Song
- Junior Piano Winner: Bryant Li, Teacher-John Weems
- Junior Strings Alternate: Danielle Yoon, Cello, Teacher-Ko Iwasaki
- Junior Woodwind Representative: Ayne Park, Flute, Teacher-Monica Song
ATTENTION LOCAL PRESIDENTS
Linda Parr, TMTA Teacher Recognition Chair
- TMTA Teacher of the Year
- TMTA Award for Outstanding Pre-College Teaching Achievement
- TMTA Award for Outstanding Collegiate Teaching Achievement
Dallas Southwest MTA was formed in May of 1989. They presently have 15 members and meet four times a year, plus a summer board meeting. Their activities include a costume recital, a Christmas recital, Theory Tests, World of Music Tests, Sacred Music Festival, Jazz Contest, TMTA Ensembles, Sonatina/Sonata/Baroque Festival, and Achievement Auditions. They also offer a senior scholarship for music majors and a Senior Musician of the Year Award.